Tuesday 21 April 2015

Pecan Nut Flour Rusks

With my bag of pecan nut flour under the arm I decided to follow the recipe for rusks on the bag. Not really a baking man, I assembled the ingredients on the kitchen table and read the recipe. I had to dry the rusks at 80°C after baking but they did not say how long.


Pecan nut flour Rusks
Pecan Nut Flour from the Northern Cape
Ready for mixing
A phone call to my sister solved the problem and now I know it must be for 5 hours. I started mixing the ingredients and after I cracked the first egg into the melted butter and buttermilk I was stuck with another dilemma. The recipe called for three eggs and the first egg had a double yolk. Do I accept that this egg constitutes two eggs and only use one more or do I use two more. I decided that an egg is one egg doesn't matter how many yolks.

A Yolk Dilemma
Two panic attacks later about how much dough should be in each pan, followed by phone calls to my sister, I had two equal pans of dough ready for baking.

Ready for Baking
With two rusk pans filled with the mixture I started baking. When the bake was cool I cut them into rusks and put them into the oven  to start drying out. On Sunday morning I could pack seven and a half dozen pecan nut flour rusks away. Perfect for cold winter mornings with a good cup of Arabica coffee from Mexico from where the pecan nut originates.  

Baked and ready for slicing
The rusks are very tasty. A lot like Pecan nut biscotti I would imagine. Well it looks like I have to go and buy another bag of Pecan nut flour for biscotti or Pecan nut and fig muffins.

Ready for eating

I have included the recipe in English and Afrikaans in this blog post Pecan nut flour and ginger rusks

5 comments:

  1. The incidental discovery of the bag of Pecan Nut flour described in your previous post has certainly had a fantastic outcome. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thys
    I am really enjoying your blog and your problem with the double egg yolk really had me laughing. Looking forward to your next adventure! Pat Kramer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat I am glad you enjoy the blog, I appreciate the feedback.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Click on the link for pecan nut flour and ginger rusks in the last sentence of this blog for the recipe or use this link https://towerwateraandebreede.blogspot.com/2016/06/pecan-nut-flour-and-ginger-rusks.html

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.